A record-breaking ram turned heads when it was bought for €44,000 in Co Wicklow — the largest amount ever paid for a ram at a sale in Ireland.
The seven-month-old Suffolk ram was sold by Richard Thompson, a farmer from Ballybofey in Co Donegal.
He said it was a “dream come true”.
The largest amount paid for a ram previously at a sale in Ireland was €38,000.
Mr Thompson, who only started his flock of Suffolk sheep in 2015, knew his ram was special — but never imagined it would sell for such an amount when he arrived at the Blessington Mart in Co Wicklow on Monday.
“I was expecting good money, but not that,” he said.
His wife Marie was watching the proceedings online — and looked on as a bidding war began for the ram from Mr Thompson’s Ballinatone flock.
“She couldn’t believe it,” he said.
Mr Thompson said that he knew what the previous record sale had been — but never imagined he would break it.
Things like this, he said, happen “once in a lifetime”.
“You always hope, but it’s not often,” he said.
A consortium led by Dennis Taylor, a farmer from Coleraine in Northern Ireland, paid the record price.
As for what makes the ram so special, Mr Thompson said it was quite simple — his ram was from a good line.
He said: “He was what everyone was looking for, what everyone tries to breed. He had a different bloodline, you’re not breeding into the same line.”
Robin McIlrath, chief executive of the Suffolk Sheep Society, said it was an “excellent sale”.
“Richard’s record-breaking lamb was the cherry on the cake,” he said.
As for the money, Mr Thompson said it will all go straight back into the farm. – PA
Remains found in Dublin adds intrigue to search for Robert Emmet’s grave
Skeletal remains have been found at one of the locations identified as a possible last resting place of Robert Emmet who was executed on this day in 1803.
The remains were found during an excavation at the back of St Paul’s Church in Stoneybatter in Dublin.
The disappearance of the body of Robert Emmet is one of the great mysteries of Irish history.
Emmet was tried and then hanged for instigating the ill-fated 1803 rebellion. He became a symbol of Irish martyrdom for his speech from the dock in which he concluded: “Let them and me rest in obscurity and peace, and my name remain uninscribed, until other times and other men can do justice to my character. When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth, then, and not till then, let my epitaph be written.”
After he was publicly hanged outside St Catherine’s Church in Thomas Street on September 20th, 1803, his head was displayed to the crowd by the hangman Thomas Galvin. The remains of Emmet’s body was taken to Bully’s Acre in the grounds of what is now the Royal Hospital Kilmainham and buried there.
When some of his friends went to reintern his remains from Bully’s Acre to St Michan’s Church in Church Street, a church associated with the United Irishmen, they found there was no body there, and so began a search which endures to this day.
His great-nephew Dr Thomas Addis Emmet requested an archaeological dig at the family vault in St Peter’s Church in Aungier Street to mark the centenary of Emmet’s death in 1903, but that proved to be unsuccessful.
St Paul’s Church is another contender in the saga of Emmet’s remains. It was the parish church of Kilmainham Gaol’s doctor and effective governor Dr Edward Trevor.
In his book In the Footsteps of Robert Emmet, JJ Reynolds speculated that Trevor removed Emmet’s body and put it in an unmarked grave in the grounds of St Paul’s Church. This was to ensure that his grave would not become a shrine for Irish nationalism.
The church, which was the venue for the consecration of the philosopher George Berkeley as Bishop of Cloyne in 1734, has been converted into the Spade Enterprise Centre, a not-for-profit social enterprise unit.
The land where the skeletal remains were found is being turned into a shared kitchen for small business enterprises in the area.
Archaeologist Franc Miles said burials in the grounds were from 1702 to the 1860s. A extant set of burial records remain, but Emmet, if he really is buried there, would have no record.
Previous exhumations were carried out when the graveyard was closed in 1860s to make way for a school on the site.
“With all the evacuations, we were left with bits and pieces of body. There weren’t many full skeletons,” he said.
Mr Miles said it all the gravemarkers and stones were removed in the 1860s “so all you are left with really are bones.”
Mr Miles said it would be difficult if not impossible to identify Emmet’s remains even if they are buried in the grounds of St Paul’s Church.
His own “educated guess” is that Emmet’s body is still buried somewhere in Bully’s Acre.
As many of his supporters have said over the last two centuries: “Do not look for him. His grave is Ireland.”
How the cost of renting an apartment in Copenhagen compares to other cities in Denmark
Officials pushed for State to buy direct provision centres from private firms
The Government should buy a number of privately-owned direct provision centres as a “priority” as it would be more “cost effective” for the State to run the facilities for asylum seekers, international protection officials have said.
The savings arising from owning the accommodation centres rather than paying private contractors to do so “could be considerable”, departmental briefing documents provided to Minister for Children and Integration Roderic O’Gorman last year state.
The vast majority of direct provision centres are currently owned and run by private companies, with accommodation providers having received some €1.6 billion since 1999, including €183 million last year.
The latest figures show some 7,150 people are in the system of seven State-owned sites and 39 private centres. A further 24 commercially-owned premises are being used to provide emergency accommodation for asylum seekers.
The briefing document, released to The Irish Times under the Freedom of Information Act, says that housing people seeking asylum in State-owned centres would provide the “best protection from the vulnerability of present market reliance”.
“They are also much more cost efficient to run, and the State owns the asset,” it notes.
The document suggested that State centres should aim to accommodate 5,000 people, and “allowing the private sector to supply the rest is regarded as an achievable and reasonable target”.
The purchase of existing centres from private providers “to immediately boost the State’s footprint in this area should be considered as a priority,” the internal document said.
“Some service providers may be open to this and the market appears to be favourable at present,” it said.
The internal briefing suggested the department could then seek private companies or NGOs to run the centres, which would be a “competitive cost option”.
Ongoing maintenance for centres owned by the State was also “badly needed,” as current pressures on the Office of Public Works (OPW) meant it was not possible “for immediate repairs to be done if required”.
“In exploring the model of more State centres, we need to agree and acquire a capital budget,” the briefing stated.
“State land does not require planning permission for new centres as the Minister has a power under the Acts, whereby the OPW can grant the planning permission and this is usually a three-month process. It is not subject to appeal.”
The document says that State centres “can also have a bigger footprint as it will be a permanent fixture in the locality”. In recent years a number of plans for private providers to open direct provision centres in regional towns have been met with protests from locals and anti-immigration activists.
Mr O’Gorman’s department has sought to reform the direct provision system and is seeking to replace the network of centres with a new system of accommodation and supports by the end of 2024.
A department spokesman confirmed the State has not bought any new centres since the briefing note was written. The spokesman said under the planned overhaul of direct provision, asylum-seekers who arrived into the country would initially be housed in a number of reception and integration centres.
Asylum-seekers will spend a maximum of four months in the reception centres before moving into housing secured through Approved Housing Bodies.
“These centres will be State-owned and purpose built to provide suitable accommodation for approximately 2,000 people at any one time, to cater for the flow-through of the 3,500 applicants over a 12-month period,” he said.
What to expect in Budget 2022? Small tax cuts and modest welfare increases
Ten women and girls killed every day in Mexico, Amnesty report says | Global development
Big tech’s pro-climate rhetoric is not matched by policy action, report finds | Environment
The 1915 Armenian Genocide and its Russophobic Origins
The Religious Roots of Russia’s Mistrust towards the West
Harvest Moon: One World review – a farming game that’s gone to seed | Games
Technology1 week ago
Ireland is Europe’s ‘Wild West’ of data protection
Technology1 week ago
Tech widens the educational divide. And I should know – I’m a teacher in a pandemic • The Register
Culture1 week ago
Election result: Solberg unseated as Norway’s left-wing opposition comes out on top
Technology1 week ago
How to develop a coaching mindset
Technology1 week ago
Jagmeet Singh: the ex-lawyer and TikTok star who could topple Trudeau | Canada
Global Affairs1 week ago
‘Tomorrow they will kill me’: Afghan female police officers live in fear of Taliban reprisals | Global development
Culture6 days ago
Russia Is Open to US, EU Tourists & Getting A Visa Is Easier Than You Think
Technology7 days ago
Irish tech start-up PepTalk raises €1.2m to improve hybrid work experience