Survivors of mother and baby homes will receive redress of up to €65,000 as part of a new scheme agreed by Cabinet today.
There will be another work-related payment for women who were resident in certain institutions for more than three months and who undertook what might be termed commercial work. These payments will range from €1,500 to €60,000.
The general payments range from €5,000 for those who spent less than three months in an institution, to €65,000 for survivors who spent 10 years or more in an institution.
The scheme will provide financial payments and an enhanced medical card to defined groups.
The Department has said that 34,000 survivors will be eligible for the financial payments at an estimated cost of €800 million.
Some 19,000 people will be eligible for an enhanced medical card. Survivors who now live abroad will also qualify for a payment.
Applications for the scheme will open in late 2022 after it is legislated for and the Government has said the scheme will be “non-adversarial”.
All mothers who spent time in a mother and baby institution will be eligible for a payment with the amount increasing based on their length of stay.
All children who spent six months or more in an institution, and who did not previously receive redress, will be eligible for payment based on their length of stay.
The Government is also planning to create a National Memorial and Records Centre.
Announcing the scheme, the Department of Children said applicants will qualify solely based on proof of residency without a need to bring forward any evidence or abuse or medical evidence.
In certain limited circumstances, sworn affidavits will may be required.
Announcing the scheme, Minister for Children Roderic O’Gorman said some people would be asked to swear an affidavit.
This would be in cases where there are no records available about an institution. Every survivor who receives redress will be asked to sign a waiver at the end of the process to state that they will not take further legal action but it is “not a gag”, he said.
Addressing questions about the length of time it will take survivors to receive a payment, given the scheme will not be operational until late 2022, Mr O’Gorman said elderly people and vulnerable people would be prioritised.
He also said he asked religious congregations for a “substantial” contribution towards the scheme but that full negotiations have yet to begin.
The department estimates around 25 per cent of survivors are living outside of Ireland, mainly in the UK and US. They will be offered a €3,000 payment in lieu of a medical card, if they wish to take that instead.
When the Mother and Baby Homes Commission released its final report earlier this year, survivors criticised its findings and recommendations as well as the tone of certain sections. In the summer, Mr O’Gorman said he was looking to bring in an independent expert to look again at the testimony of women and other survivors.
Some survivors said there were inaccuracies in evidence that they identified as their own.
Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, Mr O’Gorman said work was ongoing with the attorney general to progress this, and that this “piece of work” will be “central” to the final historical record.
European Commission recommends travel ban on southern Africa amid fears over new Covid variant
The EU is expected to announce an immediate travel ban to southern Africa because of the discovery of a new Covid-19 variant.
The B.1.1.529 variant, which is more transmissible than the dominant Delta variant and could evade vaccines, has been discovered in South Africa’s most populous province Gauteng.
The EU Commission president Ursula von der Leyen tweeted: “The @EU_Commission will propose, in close coordination with Member States, to activate the emergency brake to stop air travel from the southern African region due to the variant of concern B.1.1.529.”
The future of this year’s United Rugby Championship (URC) could be in jeopardy as it has four South African teams in it.
Northern Ireland’s chief medical officer, Michael McBride, said the emergence of the new variant was “undoubtedly a matter of concern”.
Recent arrivals to Northern Ireland from the six countries on the UK list will be contacted by the Public Health Agency (PHA) and asked to self-isolate and take a PCR test, which will be prioritised for genomic sequencing.
Further assessments will be made concerning other countries with strong travel links to South Africa, the North’s Department of Health said.
Dr McBride said the introduction of travel restrictions was on a “precautionary basis, while we await further evidence on the spread of this variant in South Africa and understand more about it.”
The official Munster rugby Twitter account stated: “We all are safe & well in Pretoria. We are working with URC on the ongoing situation relating to Covid-19 & will provide an update once we know more #MunsterInSA.”
The Covid adviser for the Irish College of General Practitioners (ICGP), Mary Favier has warned that if the new South African variant of the virus manages to “out run” Delta, then “we will have a problem”.
It was still unknown if vaccines would work against the new variant which was why so much attention was being paid to it, she told Newstalk Breakfast.
Dr Favier also welcomed plans to extend the vaccine programme to children aged 5-11. GPs knew the difference that vaccines could make, however, she pointed out that it would be a parental decision and GPs would be willing to discuss the issue with parents.
On RTÉ Radio 1’s Morning Ireland programme immunology expert, Professor Christine Loscher said she expected the World Health Organisation (WHO) to move the status of the new variant from one of interest to one of concern in the near future.
The new variant was of concern because of the number of mutations in the spike proteins and it was still unclear how this variant would respond to vaccines. It was a case of wait and see the impact, she said.
Within the coming weeks it would be known how good current vaccines were at neutralising antibodies in the variant, added Prof Loscher. But she pointed out that vaccine manufacturers have been able to “tweak” vaccines as the virus changed.
“That’s a positive thing to know, that they have the technology to vary the vaccine as variants arrive.”
Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly said he is “deeply concerned” about the new Covid variant.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) will meet on Friday to to further assess the significance of this variant.
The Department of Foreign Affairs has not updated its travel advice to South Africa on its website. It no longer advises against non-essential travel.
Italy tightens Covid restrictions as some regions face return to ‘yellow’ zone
A government decree that comes into force from December 6th will require a ‘super green pass’ health certificate to access most venues and services across the country, in a bid to contain Italy’s rising infection rate and ensure Christmas celebrations can go ahead as planned.
The ‘super green pass’ can be obtained only by those who are vaccinated against or have recovered from Covid-19.
It supersedes the basic ‘green pass’, which was also available to those who had recently tested negative for the virus; though the basic green pass will still be valid for use on public transport and to access workplaces.
Speaking at a televised press conference on Monday evening, Italy’s Prime Minister Mario Draghi said the restrictions would mean a “normal” Christmas this year for those who are vaccinated, and would “give certainty to the tourist season”.
The announcement comes amid media reports that some Italian regions will be placed under increased restrictions starting next week.
People wearing a face mask do some window shopping on Piazza di Spagna in central Rome on December 13, 2020. Vincenzo PINTO / AFP
The northerneastern region of Friuli Venezia Giulia will be returned to the more restricted ‘yellow’ zone from Monday, after it met all of the Italian government’s criteria for tightened restrictions.
Italy operates under a four-tier colour coded system for coronavirus restrictions, with ‘white’ zone areas under the most relaxed rules, and ‘yellow’, ‘orange’ and ‘red’ zones under increasingly strict restrictions.
Since October, the entire country has been in the least-restricted white zone – but this week, Friuli Venezia Giulia’s hospital ward occupancy and Covid infection rates exceeded the limits put in place by the government last summer.
The region’s figures stood at 15 percent Covid patient ICU occupancy and 18 percent general hospital ward occupancy as of November 24th, according to data provided by Agenas, Italy’s National Agency for Health Services.
Under a law introduced by Italy’s government in July, any region above the threshold of 10 percent ICU and 15 percent general ward Covid patient occupancy and with a new weekly incident rate of 50 cases per 100,000 inhabitants should automatically be placed in the yellow zone.
It’s thought that mass demonstrations held in the region’s capital of Trieste last month to protest the introduction of a Covid health certificate requirement for Italy’s workers are partly behind its deteriorating health situation.
A Santa Claus puppet wearing a face mask is displayed in the window of a food store at Rome’s Trevi fountain square on December 23, 2020. Vincenzo PINTO / AFP
According to Italian media, Friuli Venezia Giulia’s governor Massimiliano Fedriga has agreed to enforce the government’s ‘super green pass’ rules from Monday, allowing the region’s vaccinated population to bypass restrictions they would otherwise be subject to.
Currently, ‘yellow zone’ restrictions require an area’s inhabitants to wear a mask both outdoors and in indoor public spaces, and restaurants can seat a maximum of four diners to a table.
While those in a yellow zone will still be required to mask up outdoors, under the new rules, people who hold the ‘super green pass’ will be able to access “indoor catering”, shows (such as theatre performances), parties, nightclubs, sporting events, and “public ceremonies”, as normal.
Other parts of the country currently expected to join Friuli Venezia Giulia in the yellow zone within the next couple of weeks are the autonomous province of Bolzano, which had 10 percent ICU and 15 percent general ward Covid patient occupancy rates as of November 24th; as well as Marche, Liguria, Lazio, Calabria, which all have figures approaching the threshold.
Some of Italy’s larger cities are putting into place their own preemptive strategies to try to contain their infection rates.
On Thursday, Milan’s mayor Giuseppe Sala said he was preparing to sign a measure making facemasks mandatory outdoors across the city center from the coming weekend, reports news agency Ansa.
And in Venice, mayor Luigi Brugnaro has already signed an order requiring the use of masks at Christmas markets and other large outdoor gatherings in the city, reports Sky TG 24.
How Italy came to be Europe’s coffee capital
New EU law may force big messaging vendors to open up • The Register
Belgium goes into three-week ‘lockdown light’
The 1915 Armenian Genocide and its Russophobic Origins
What’s artificial intelligence best at? Stealing human ideas | Technology
The Religious Roots of Russia’s Mistrust towards the West
Technology1 week ago
Riverbed Tech files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection • The Register
Technology1 week ago
Open Infrastructure Foundation adopts Taibai • The Register
Technology7 days ago
Robinhood and Citadel cleared of alleged collusion by judge • The Register
Current1 week ago
Pharmacist given warning for incorrectly dispensing ‘abortive agent’
Technology1 week ago
Balderton raises $600m fund for early-stage start-ups in Europe
Culture1 week ago
France slams Jersey as Channel fishing tensions rise again
Technology1 week ago
Rebecca Rumbul named new CEO of The Rust Foundation • The Register
Culture1 week ago
Spain: The most valuable Spanish coins in history | Culture