Connect with us

Global Affairs

Lucia Mendez: A Mexican mother’s struggle to say goodbye to her dying daughter in the US | USA

Voice Of EU

Published

on

Alma Hernández, 36, passed away on June 19 in Dallas, Texas.
Alma Hernández, 36, passed away on June 19 in Dallas, Texas.Cortesía

Alma Hernández, a 36-year-old mother of four, was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2022. It was stage four and had already metastasized in her lungs, liver and brain. Her mother, Lucía Méndez, was almost 1,000 miles away in Aguascalientes (Mexico) where Alma was born. Alma had lived in Dallas (Texas, USA) with her husband for almost 20 years. Parkland Health, the Dallas hospital treating Alma, sent a letter to Lucía in late March with information about her daughter’s deteriorating health. Lucía immediately traveled to the US border with the letter, but was turned away by US immigration agents. They repeatedly denied her entry as Alma’s condition worsened, rebuffing Lucía’s pleas to see her daughter before it was too late. “They call it humanitarian parole, but there’s nothing humanitarian about it. Your grief doesn’t matter to them,” said Alma’s sister Adriana in a phone interview with EL PAÍS. Alma passed away on June 19 without her mother at her side, and now the family is fighting for permission to enter the US for the funeral.

With the hospital’s report in hand, Lucía and Adriana arrived on April 1 at the Nuevo Laredo (Tamaulipas, Mexico) border crossing. The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authorities denied them humanitarian parole because Alma was still undergoing treatment and her death was not certain. “They told us to come back when she only had a few days to live,” said Adriana.

Weeks of chemotherapy treatments went by, and Alma’s condition deteriorated. On April 17, Lucía and Adriana tried again and showed immigration authorities more medical information from the hospital, Alma’s birth certificate as proof of the family relationship, and information about the person responsible for them during their stay in the US (Alma’s other sister, Leticia, a US resident) But they got the same answer–come back later.

On June 15, Parkland Health gave them devastating news. “The patient is hospitalized in intensive care due to rapidly spreading cancer and is not responding to treatment. Unfortunately, we cannot cure her. Her breast cancer is very aggressive and affects multiple organs. Her life expectancy is less than three months,” reads the document that the hospital sent to the Mexican consulate in Dallas.

“They [the hospital] were about to discharge her,” said Adriana. So the two women once again boarded a bus for the 12-hour ride from Aguascalientes to the Nuevo Laredo border crossing. Again they were denied humanitarian parole. The immigration agents now thought that their repeated attempts were a clear indication that they intended to remain in the US illegally. “I just wanted to see my daughter before she died–that’s all,” said Lucía Méndez. They pleaded with the authorities to no avail, and were even warned that any further attempts would impact future visa applications.

Lucía’s daughter was dying, but she couldn’t just wring her hands and do nothing. They decided to try the Piedras Negras (Coahuila, Mexico) crossing across the border from Eagle Pass, Texas. “It was even worse there,” said Adriana, referring to all the migrant caravans that arrive there. “They wouldn’t let us approach the checkpoint to talk to the agents.” They asked the US immigration authorities if Leticia, a legal resident, could come to the border crossing and assume responsibility for them. “She would be accountable,” said Adriana. “If we don’t leave, then she goes to jail. We’re not interested in staying in the US–I have my husband and children in Mexico, and my mother has her own home. We just wanted to see my sister.” But that didn’t sway the authorities. “They said we were denied entry because Alma was undocumented.” Lucía and Adriana returned to Aguascalientes, disheartened. Alma died two days later.

Now that Mexico has been turned into an immense retaining wall for migrants trying to enter the United States, procedures at the official border crossings have become even stricter. “Everything was very confusing. We were told that the Mexican consulate doesn’t intervene in situations like ours. We were very uninformed,” said Adriana. They were later told that they should have gone to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ branch office in Aguascalientes to ask for help right from the start.

Journalist Wendy Selene publicized Lucia’s plight on social media, and their story eventually made the Mexican authorities take notice. On June 20, the Mexican consul in Eagle Pass, Ismael Naveja Macias, informed Lucía and Adriana that they had been granted humanitarian parole permits allowing them to attend Alma’s funeral on June 23-24. “We will be waiting for them to arrive so we can complete the process. The consulate is ready to help,” wrote Naveja.

As she boards the bus that will take her back to the border, Adriana Hernández thinks of her sister. She described Alma as a young woman who loved music and makeup, and was determined to care for her four children. She was usually reserved, but sometimes made daring posts on Facebook. “She was a serious woman, but loved to joke around once she got to know you,” said Hernández, as she started the journey to say goodbye to her sister.

Source link

Global Affairs

Eduardo Zapateiro: Colombian army chief resigns to avoid appearing beside president-elect Petro at inauguration | International

Voice Of EU

Published

on

General Eduardo Zapateiro, the commander of the Colombian army, resigned on Tuesday to avoid appearing beside president-elect Gustavo Petro at his inauguration on August 7. “After 40 years in service, I bid farewell to the Colombian people, giving my heartfelt thanks to all my soldiers,” he announced.

Zapateiro, who comes from the hardline wing of the armed forces, has been a vocal opponent of the leftist leader. During the presidential election campaign, the army commander controversially spoke out against Petro on Twitter – a move that was condemned as unconstitutional. Incumbent President Iván Duque, however, defended Zapateiro, arguing that the general was sharing his point of view – not taking a political stand.

Zapateiro announced his retirement just one day after Petro told EL PAÍS that he planned to change the leadership of the armed forces. “This leadership was deeply imbued by the political line of the executive [of Iván Duque] now reaching the end of its term. But this path is unsustainable and turns our security forces into a victim, as they have been led to perpetrate grotesque violations of human rights. What we are proposing will make our security forces democratically stronger,” he said in the interview.

The Colombian general has often raised eyebrows with his behavior. Following the death of Jhon “Popeye” Jairo Velásquez, a henchman for drug lord Pablo Escobar who had killed dozens of people, Zapateiro sent his condolences to his family and said he was saddened by his loss. To this day, no one has explained why the general made these statements.

In Colombia, the government and the military have a complex relationship. The country has fought for decades against guerrilla groups such as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN). The ongoing armed struggle placed the military in a position of great power. Indeed until the 1990s, the armed forces controlled the Defense Ministry. As in many other countries, the Colombian armed forces are a conservative group that is highly suspicious of leftist ideas. The peace agreement, for example, that ended five decades of conflict with the FARC, divided Colombia’s troops. Zapateiro initially supported the accords, but over time, became an outspoken critic.

What kind of relationship Petro will form with the military remains to be seen. As a politician, he has been very critical of the army’s focus on targeting internal enemies. The Colombian armed forces have been fighting against guerrilla groups and drug gangs for decades. During this conflict, they have often overstepped their bounds and violated human rights.

In the early 2000s, a scandal broke in Colombia when it was revealed that military officers were carrying out summary executions of innocent civilians and listing them as guerrillas killed in combat. These so-called “false positives” took place in different regions of the country between 2002 and 2008 and were used as proof of performance by military units and to collect “kill fees” awarded by the government of former president Álvaro Uribe. A total of 6,402 innocent people are estimated to have been killed in these summary executions. Just a few months ago, several civilians also died in suspicious circumstances during an army operation in Putumayo.

With Petro elected as Colombia’s first leftist president in modern history, it was no longer tenable to have Zapeteiro leading the armed forces. The Colombian newspaper El Espectador published an editorial to that effect, with the headline: “Isn’t it time to retire, General Zapateiro?”

Petro aims to tackle corruption within the army, which he believes is home to extremist factions. “There are currents in the far right that must be eliminated. Some are talking openly about coups and things like that. But look, within the army there are no factions friendly to Petro, there are factions friendly to the Constitution,” Petro told EL PAÍS.

Source link

Continue Reading

Global Affairs

Canada should focus on abortion access not legislation, advocates say | Global development

Voice Of EU

Published

on

Abortion advocates are warning that the recent US supreme court ruling overturning Roe v Wade will empower anti-choice groups in Canada to push for restricted access, making a settled matter appear controversial in a country where nearly 80% of people are pro-choice.

A key anti-choice strategy in Canada revolves around enacting abortion legislation – an idea that has been gaining traction amid the fallout of the US court ruling. There is currently no abortion law in Canada, making it the only country in the world where the procedure is totally free of legal restrictions.

“There’s a lot of talk right now about whether or not the Canadian government should pass a proactive law protecting our right to abortion – a pre-emptive strike, if you will. That would be a big mistake,” said Daphne Gilbert, a law professor at the University of Ottawa.

Gilbert and other abortion advocates say that while enshrining abortion rights may sound progressive, the opposite is true: consolidating rules would make it easier for anti-choice legislators to retract abortion rights if ever they found themselves in a majority. Last year, 81 Conservative MPs (and one independent) voted for anti-choice legislation.

And while the prime minister, Justin Trudeau, promised Canadians after Roe that his government would “always stand up for your right to choose”, advocates argue that may not always be true.

That’s why the country should focus on entrenching people’s rights by expanding abortion access, said Gilbert.

Since it became legal in a 1988 supreme court ruling, abortion in Canada has been designated as a medical service like any other, on par with procedures like X-rays and blood tests. But that doesn’t make it easy to get – especially in remote, religious or conservative parts of the country.

In 2014, Sarah (who asked to remain anonymous) sought an abortion on Prince Edward Island (PEI) – a province of 30,000 that, at the time, did not have a single publicly operating abortion provider.

It took Sarah a month to finally secure a provider – five hours away, in another province. The trip incurred travel and lodging costs, but the procedure itself was covered by the healthcare authority.

“The idea that anybody has to travel to take care of something that you should be able to get done close to home – it’s not fine,” said Sarah. Abortion care only arrived on PEI in 2017, after activists sued the provincial government for acting unconstitutionally.

Although there is no federal law, each province’s medical college sets its own guidelines on abortion, including gestational age limits for use of the abortion pill.

Those guidelines are shaped by the skills and training available in each province, said Martha Paynter, an abortion care provider in Nova Scotia and the author of the new book Abortion to Abolition: Reproductive Health and Justice in Canada.

But there is also a political dimension to providing abortion care that prevents some doctors and nurse practitioners from taking it up.

“More people could be doing it than are doing it,” said Paynter. “We as educators – I’m a prof at a nursing school – have the responsibility to teach in every medical and nursing program how to do this care, and hardly [any school] does it.”

Paynter is the creator of the country’s first university abortion course, at Dalhousie University, which is open to students across medical, nursing and other health programs with the purpose of inspiring future health workers to integrate abortion access into primary care.

The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists offers an online course to teach professionals how to prescribe and manage medical abortion.

But most students and healthcare professionals are not required to learn about how medication and surgical abortion work – and many choose to abstain because they are afraid to enter the political fray around abortion.

According to Gilbert, that means a lot of primary care providers stay wilfully uninformed.

“A lot of doctors just aren’t political people. They’re scientists, and they don’t see the politics behind some of their care,” she said.

Further complicating access is the fact that many Canadians are unaware that nurse practitioners in the country are permitted to prescribe the abortion pill and refer patients to surgical abortion providers – or that most patients can self-refer directly to an abortion provider.

Addressing these issues is critical to expanding existing access to medication and surgical abortion, said Paynter and Gilbert.

In 2017, Natalie (also a pseudonym) discovered she was pregnant while visiting her parents in a small town in northern Alberta. After one doctor at a local walk-in clinic told her abortion was murder, she demanded an appointment with a different doctor.

That doctor told her that there was no such thing as medical abortion. “He looked me in the face and said, ‘That doesn’t exist,’” she said.

Mifegymiso – otherwise known as the abortion pill – was approved by Health Canada in 2015, but had only recently hit the market when Natalie found herself at the doctor’s office.

“I know it exists. It’s literally the front page of the news,” she told him.

Still, she went away empty-handed. She was only able to get an abortion after returning to her home province of New Brunswick, where only three hospitals and one clinic provide abortion. Natalie went to the clinic, where she paid $800 for a surgical abortion – a cost incurred because the province refuses to pay for abortions performed outside of hospitals.

New Brunswick is currently being sued for its restriction of abortion.

Stories like those of Sarah and Natalie show how abortion remains inaccessible in Canada, despite its federal legal standing.

“Our greatest problems really come in terms of provinces and what they may do to restrict access to abortion in light of what I think is now going to be a really emboldened anti-choice movement,” said Gilbert.

Source link

Continue Reading

Global Affairs

Missing child in Germany: German boy found alive after surviving eight days in sewer | International

Voice Of EU

Published

on

German police have found an eight-year-old boy who went missing from his home in Oldenburg, a city of 170,000 people in northwestern Germany. The child, named Joe, was discovered on Saturday in a sewer just 300 meters from his house. He had survived in the sewer for eight days while hundreds of officers and volunteers frantically searched the surface for clues to his whereabouts. “Eight-year-old Joe lives!” police in Oldenburg announced on Twitter.

The boy, who suffers from learning disabilities, disappeared on June 17 from the garden of his house. Police launched a large-scale search with drones, helicopters, sniffer dogs and dozens of officers, who were joined by hundreds of volunteers. As the days passed, a homicide team joined the investigation amid growing fears that Joe – who is only identified by his first name due to Germany’s privacy laws – could have been the victim of a violent crime. A witness claimed to have seen him in the company of an unidentified man and it was feared he may have been kidnapped.

“It was absolute luck,” said Stephan Klatte, the Oldenburg police spokesman, said of Joe’s discovery. A neighbor who was walking in the area raised the alarm when he heard “a whining noise” coming from the ground, just under a drain. When officers lifted the manhole cover, they found the boy, completely naked. He had no serious external injuries, but was dehydrated and suffering from hypothermia, for which he was taken to hospital for treatment. According to German media, he is recovering well. “If he hadn’t made a sound, or if no one had heard him, we might never have found him,” Klatte said.

In a statement, the police reported that they believed that Joe likely entered the rainwater drainage system through a sewer on the same day of his disappearance and “lost his bearings after walking several meters.” Police have ruled out any foul play in the incident.

On Sunday, the day after Joe was discovered, police commissioned a specialized company to inspect the sewage system with a robot equipped with a camera. The robot examined the sewer between the boy’s home and the place where he was found. It recorded several items of clothing, including what he was wearing when he disappeared, in a pipe about 60 centimeters in diameter that runs under one of the streets of the neighborhood where he lives with his parents. The robot found, for example, the child’s vest, 70 meters from the point of entry.

Officers found an entrance to a three-foot-wide drainage channel near the farm where he was last seen on the day of his disappearance. Authorities believe the boy entered the channel while playing. After 23 meters, the tunnel leads to another narrower plastic pipe and police think it is likely the eight-year-old continued down this path. Joe was eventually found about 290 meters from where he entered the sewer system.

Police believe that Joe became more and more disoriented until he could no longer find a way out. “A first statement from the child confirms this assumption,” said the statement, which does not provide more details about what he told officers. Investigators say they have not been able to question the boy in detail, as he remains in hospital. Nothing has been found to suggest that the child came to the surface in the eight days in which he was missing. In the statement, police asked that no questions about his state of health be made out of respect for him and his family.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates 
directly on your inbox.

You have Successfully Subscribed!