German prosecutors say a 53-year-old Irishman on remand in Frankfurt could face up to 10 years in prison after threatening a violent attack using a weapons cache of guns, rifles, samurai swords and a crossbow.
The unnamed 53 year-old Irishman, of no fixed address in Germany but believed to be a long-term resident, was arrested last Thursday and brought before a remand judge on Friday.
He is being held at Frankfurt’s Weiterstadt prison as prosecutors build a case against him. A state prosecutor spokesman said the case would be expedited, given he is facing the charge of preparation of a serious violent attack of danger to the state.
“The man has no fixed address but said he would carry out an attack on July 20th, but we don’t know where or how, it was very fuzzy,” said Ms Nadja Niessen, spokeswoman for the Frankfurt state prosecutor’s office. “The evidence will be examined, we will see if he speaks and we will carry out the usual investigation procedures.”
Though expedited, it is likely to be months before a case is brought, during which time the man is likely to undergo psychological assessment.
Last week Frankfurt police identified the Irishman as the author of a series of letters to various authorities in the state of Hesse, where Frankfurt is located. The series of letters – which began earlier this year – varied in tone and content from confused to threatening.
“In the letters, he complained about alleged injustices on the part of the state authorities,” Frankfurt police said in a statement.
The letters were peppered with random excerpts from legal texts which the police said indicated psychological problems. Police decided to track down the author after the most recent letter made a concrete threat of an attack.
“In letters with identical contents sent to several authorities, the suspect announced the intention to carry out an unspecified attack,” Frankfurt police added.
In a major police operation last Thursday he was tracked down to a garden allotment to the north of Frankfurt city centre strewn with abandoned cars, shipping containers and other detritus. On the site police found a cache of weapons they said were “suited to an attack”.
Two images of the weapons recovered show a crossbow, nine samurai swords and 14 firearms, including automatic weapons, a rifle and six gas pistols. Some of the weapons require hunting licenses, said a police spokesman, while the knives are freely available to buy.
Police say they have now dismissed a previous theory linking the man to Germany’s Reichsbürger scene, a small group of mostly far-right extremists who refuse to recognise the modern German state.
Nadine Lott told ex-partner who later killed her not to ‘threaten’ her, court hears
Nadine Lott told her former partner not to “threaten” her two weeks before he killed her, the Central Criminal Court has heard.
The jury in the trial of Daniel Murtagh was given transcripts on Tuesday of WhatsApp messages between the accused and his ex-girlfriend in the days and weeks leading up to her death.
In them, the accused asks her if she is “seeing someone from Dublin”. In reply, Ms Lott tells him she is not seeing anyone. Mr Murtagh asks her if there was a “Dublin lad” in her “place” and she tells him to “leave it out”.
She tells him that “nothing is ever going to happen between us again, I want to make that clear.”
In another text from December 5th the accused said: “Nadine I worry about ye, not in love, just don’t slip”.
She replied: “Don’t threaten me either”.
Evidence has previously been given that Mr Murtagh told a motorist that he had “killed my wife because she was with my friend”, just hours after he assaulted her.
John Begley testified last week that he saw a car in a ditch as he was travelling over Bookies Bridge in Laragh on the morning of December 14th and then came across the accused man standing at the side of the road.
“Daniel said to me ‘you don’t know what I’ve done”. I said what did you do. He said ‘I killed my wife’. I didn’t think anything of it. He said it a second time and said he hoped she was not dead. He said ‘she was with my friend’,” said Mr Begley.
Mr Murtagh (34), of Melrose Grove, Bawnogue, Clondalkin, Dublin 22 has pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to the manslaughter of his 30-year-old ex-partner Ms Lott at her apartment in St Mary’s Court, Arklow, Co Wicklow on December 17th, 2019.
The jury has heard that Ms Lott suffered “severe blunt force trauma” and stab injuries at the hands of her former partner “in a sustained and violent attack” in her Arklow home.
They have heard evidence that the injuries to Ms Lott were so serious that she never regained consciousness and died three days later in St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin.
An intensive care nurse at the hospital has told the jury that Ms Lott was “completely unrecognisable” and that she had never seen anybody so badly injured. A paramedic who attended to Ms Lott at her home told the jury that the call will “haunt” him for the rest of his career and was one of the most “horrendous scenes” he had ever walked into. The garda who telephoned ambulance control informed them that Ms Lott had been “beaten to a pulp”.
The trial continues before Mr Justice Michael MacGrath and a jury of seven men and five women.
‘I’m alone’: How I’m finding friends in Italy during the pandemic
Canadian police investigating Manitoba residential school abuse claims | Indigenous child graves
UK property prices are 30% higher than they were in 2007, Zoopla says
The 1915 Armenian Genocide and its Russophobic Origins
The Religious Roots of Russia’s Mistrust towards the West
Harvest Moon: One World review – a farming game that’s gone to seed | Games
Technology1 week ago
Pegasus Project claims NSO spyware targeted journalists and activists
Technology1 week ago
A pair of alternative options for getting around town • The Register
Real Estate7 days ago
Race for WFH retreats puts 30% on property prices leaving locals unable to get foot on ladder
Real Estate6 days ago
Dublin third most expensive city in Europe for construction costs
Real Estate5 days ago
Five former Davy executives involved in bond controversy to net €180m from sale
Culture1 week ago
78 Years Ago Today Churchill Incinerated 100,000 Defenseless Civilians in Dresden
Culture1 week ago
Ex-High Court president Nicholas Kearns to step down from NMH board
Technology1 week ago
Biden calls on Facebook to tackle misinformation after saying it’s ‘killing people’ | Joe Biden