Property buyers have the opportunity to become a real-life Baron with their very own castle for just £2.3million.
Kelly Castle, located in Arbirlot, Scotland, has recently hit the market and offers the noble title of ‘Baron of Kelly in Angus’ to its potential new owners.
This hugely impressive tower house is steeped in history and grandeur, offering eight bedrooms, nine bathrooms and its own golf course across its 33.37 acres of land.
Listed Grade B by Historic Environment Scotland, the property is arranged over four storeys in an L-plan and also features a wine cellar, snooker room and cinema room.
A range of Earls and Lords have owned the castle throughout history, with many historians believing it was constructed by powerful thirteenth century Scottish noble Philip de Moubray.
Kelly Castle, located in Arbirlot, Scotland, is steeped in history and grandeur
This hugely impressive tower house offers eight bedrooms, nine bathrooms and its own golf course across its 33.37 acres of land
The property is arranged over four storeys in an L-plan and features a basement bar, snooker room and cinema room
According to archives, Philip de Moubray, a Norman settler, obtained lands in Angus from William the Lion, King of Scotland.
De Moubray was an important noble north of the border as he witnessed many of the king’s charters and was often employed in State affairs.
It is probable that he was the first builder of a tower or castle on the south bank of the Elliot water, although the current tower was most probably built in the fifteenth century.
The Moubrays forfeited the property in the reign of Robert the Bruce and it was given to the Stewart family who owned it until 1402 when it was acquired by the Ochterlony family.
In 1641, the building was sold to the Irvine family who extended it by adding the courtyard and wings.
More than 50 years later, the property passed to the Maule Earls of Panmure. The Maule family forfeited the site after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715 , leaving it to be purchased by the Ramsay Earls of Dalhousie.
The castle was abandoned for around 100 years and local legend suggests the Great Hall, currently the Dining Room, was used to store contraband from the Continent.
It was purchased by its current owners in 2001, who undertook a sympathetic renovation and made ‘significant improvements and modifications’, which were completed in 2009.
The property is perfect for those who are frequent travellers, as it is situated close to airports at Dundee and Edinburgh
In 1641, the property was sold to the Irvine family who extended the property by adding the courtyard and wings
The owners constructed a private nine hole golf course within the 33.37 acres of land
It was purchased by its current owners in 2001, who undertook a sympathetic renovation and made ‘significant improvements and modifications’
‘As castles come, Kelly Castle is certainly a special one,’ said David Law, head of Strutt and Parker in Edinburgh.
‘In immaculate condition, the present owners have worked tirelessly to create a practical family home within these turreted walls.
‘Not only does a potential buyer have the opportunity to acquire a 16th century castle, and with this manageable 33 acres of grounds including a golf course, but the title of ‘Baron of Kelly’ to go with it.’
The property is perfect for those who are frequent travellers, as it is situated close to airports at Dundee and Edinburgh.
‘The prime country house and estates market in Scotland has always held strong appeal, particularly to overseas buyers who are drawn to our romantic landscapes, ancient buildings, and historic tales’, said the agent.
‘With Kelly Castle close to airports at Dundee and Edinburgh, I expect strong levels of interest from overseas buyers looking for their own slice of Scotland.
‘With an estate managers flat on site, and the knowledge that the building is in excellent condition, it’s a castle you really can just ‘lock up and leave’ if you suddenly need to catch a flight.’