Connect with us

Culture

Three men convicted in Kevin Lunney case jailed for terms from 18 to 30 years

Voice Of EU

Published

on

Three men convicted of abducting and intentionally causing serious harm to businessman Kevin Lunney have been sentenced by the Special Criminal Court to terms ranging from 18 to 30 years.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt said all three accused had participated in an enterprise that was “carefully and meticulously planned” by a serious criminal organisation.

Mr Lunney was abducted from outside of the sanctuary of his home and assaulted and threatened for the purpose of being tortured by his abductors, stripped of almost all of his clothes and almost all vestiges of his dignity, he said.

Organised criminals who participate in such callous savagery must expect severe sentences but the highest sentence, life, must be reserved for whoever organised the attack, he said.

A man who may only be identified as YZ, whom the court had held was responsible for inflicting most of the serious injuries on Mr Lunney and who was today described as the “ringleader” of the attack, was jailed for 30 years.

Alan O’Brien (40), of Shelmalier Road, East Wall, Dublin 3 and Darren Redmond (27), from Caledon Road, East Wall were jailed for 25 and 18 years respectively. The 18-year sentence had the last three suspended.

All were found guilty last month of falsely imprisoning and intentionally causing serious harm to Mr Lunney at Drumbrade, Ballinagh, Co Cavan on September 17th, 2019.

Mr Lunney told the trial he was bundled into the boot of an Audi near his home and driven to a container where he was threatened and told he must resign as a director of Quinn Industrial Holdings (QIH) and must halt litigation on both sides of the border with which he was involved.

His leg was broken with a baseball bat, he was beaten to the ground, his face was cut and the letters QIH were scored into his chest with a Stanley knife. He was stripped to his boxer shorts, doused in bleach and dumped on a country road in Co Cavan where he was discovered by a tractor driver.

The prosecution alleged the attack was co-ordinated by a convicted criminal, Cyril McGuinness, known as Dublin Jimmy, who died two years ago.

In a lengthy judgment last month, the SCC found YZ was responsible for inflicting most of Mr Lunney’s serious injuries and that O’Brien and Redmond were also involved in the kidnapping and assault.

A fourth accused, Luke O’Reilly, of Kilcogy, Co Cavan, whom the prosecution contended had provided a bottle of bleach used by Lunney’s attackers to destroy forensic evidence, was acquitted. The court said, even if it accepted Mr O’Reilly had supplied the bleach, it was reasonably possible he did so without knowledge of what was happening to Mr Lunney.

Prior to sentencing, the court earlier this month heard a victim impact statement from Mr Lunney and submissions on behalf of the DPP and the three convicted men.

Mr Lunney said “events like this can never be erased” and the physical scars and mental trauma of his ordeal would remain with him and his family for the rest of their lives.

He did not know the accused, “they don’t know me”, and he “could not fathom” why they did what they did. He was “saddened they have ruined their lives by their actions” and sympathised with their families.

Source link

Culture

External investigation into Department ‘champagne party’ needed – Minister

Voice Of EU

Published

on

Minister of State Anne Rabbitte has called for an external investigation into a “champagne party” held by staff in the Department of Foreign Affairs staff in June 2020.

The gathering, which appeared to breach Covid-19 guidance in place at the time, was “inexcusable” and Minister Simon Coveney and his department have further questions to answer, the Fianna Fáil TD told Saturday with Katie Hannon on RTÉ Radio One.

“Having a champagne reception in any government department at that time, I know over in the Department of Health where they worked tirelessly for 23, 24 hours a day, it was far from champagne they were having,” she said.

Ms Rabbitte said an internal report conducted by the department’s current secretary general was not a satisfactory way to handle the matter.

“It’s still within the same department, and we know the answer we will get. I would be one for openness and transparency … it has to be [an external report].”

She added that all departments needed to learn from the mistake.

Officials were photographed in the department celebrating Ireland’s election onto the UN Security Council, and the image was posted on Twitter by the then secretary general Niall Burgess. The tweet was later deleted. At the time of the event, there were strict restrictions on the size of gatherings due to Covid-19.

Speaking on the same programme, Labour TD Duncan Smith said people were angered at the event because June 2020 was a bleak time for most people in Ireland. He said the public had seen other incidents where politicians and others were accused of breaching Covid-19 restrictions.

“These are the elites of society … what has really hurt people is that it really got to the ‘we are all in this together’ philosophy.”

Sinn Féin TD David Cullinane agreed there needed to be an independent review of the matter, adding that Mr Coveney needed to come before an Oireachtas committee and the Dáil to gave a “frank and full account” of what happened.

Source link

Continue Reading

Culture

Dog-owners bite back at beach rules

Voice Of EU

Published

on

Following a series of reports that An Taisce is leading the battle to ban dogs from the State’s 83 blue-flag beaches, the organisation’s Ian Diamond is feeling misunderstood.

“I don’t hate dogs”, Mr Diamond says, pointing out that Blue Flag International – the global body which governs the coveted awards – warned last year that some qualifying beaches were not honouring long-standing rules.

Under what’s known as Criterion 23, the rules declare that beach access “by dogs and other domestic animals must be strictly controlled” and that they be allowed only in “the parking areas, walkways and promenades in the inland beach areas”.

Faced with the reminder, Mr Diamond said he requested last year that local authorities get more time, as it was “not something that can be introduced immediately in the middle of a pandemic when people are under other restrictions.

“You can’t exactly introduce these things overnight, so we were flagging that,” he said, adding that Blue Flag told them to speak to people seeking blue flag status and “come back with proposals” that comply with the rule.

The issue came to national attention following a meeting of Kerry County Council this week, though it was understood then that the rule was an An Taisce demand, rather than being a Blue Flag International obligation.

Dogs and horses

Consequently, Kerry County Council now propose that dogs or horses will not be allowed on blue-flag beaches from 11am-7pm between June 1st and September 15th, or otherwise the county could lose its 14 blue flags.

However, the restrictions are unpopular with some dog-owners: “There’s a lot more important things to be worrying about than dogs on a beach,” said David Walsh, as he walked his pet, Oreo, on Salthill beach.

Dog-owners in Salthill are already not allowed to bring their dogs onto the beach between 9am and 8pm between May 1st and September 30th each year, in line with Blue Flag International’s rules, though penalties are rare.

Mr Diamond says a national application of the rules at blue-flag beaches would not “strictly prohibit dogs being on the beach” during bathing season, outside of peak hours.

Bathing season

“The blue-flag criteria would apply from June 1st to September 15th, within peak usage hours, so bathing hours – that would be mid-morning to early evening,” said the An Taisce officer.

“What it requires is that there would be rules in place in relation to dogs that say [they] should not be in the blue-flag area within those hours and within the bathing season,” Mr Diamond said.

The restriction is based on public health grounds and dates back to 2003: “Dog faeces actually contain a lot of the micro-organisms that cause illness in the same way that human waste would,” he said.

“There’s no zero-tolerance approach to this. If rules are going to be brought in, then people will be consulted as well, you know, brought in unilaterally, and it’s down to the councils responsible for the beaches to bring those in.”

Not everyone disagrees with An Taisce, or Blue Flag: “I don’t think dogs should be on the beach, because of the kids and all that. And a lot of people don’t pick up their poo afterwards,” said a man on Salthill beach.

Source link

Continue Reading

Culture

Jail for banned motorist from Limerick caught driving on Christmas shopping trip to Belfast

Voice Of EU

Published

on

A banned motorist from Limerick caught driving on a Christmas shopping trip to Belfast has been jailed for seven months.

Police also discovered three of Leeanne McCarthy’s children not wearing seat belts when her car was stopped on the Westlink dual carriageway.

The 41-year-old mother-of-eight initially gave officers a false identity, prosecutors said.

Belfast Magistrates’ Court heard a PSNI patrol car stopped the Ford Focus on November 26th last year.

McCarthy, with an address at Clonlough in Limerick, provided a different name and claimed she did not have her licence with her.

However, checks revealed that a month earlier she had been banned from driving for five years.

A Crown lawyer said: “Three young children were in the rear of the vehicle, none of them wearing seat belts.”

McCarthy initially claimed they only removed the safety restraints when the car came to a halt, the court heard.

Police were told that she took over driving duties from another daughter who had been tired and nearly crashed the vehicle.

McCarthy was convicted of driving while disqualified, having no insurance, obstructing police and three counts of carrying a child in the rear of a vehicle without a seat belt.

Her barrister, Turlough Madden, said she had travelled to Belfast for Christmas shopping.

Counsel told the court McCarthy spent the festive period in custody, missing out on sharing it with her eight children and four grandchildren.

“That’s been a wake-up call and significant punishment for her,” Mr Madden submitted.

“She is a mother who simply wants to go back to Limerick and not return to Northern Ireland.”

Sentencing McCarthy to five months imprisonment for the new offences, District Judge George Conner imposed a further two months by activating a previous suspended term.

Mr Conner also affirmed the five-year disqualification period and fined her £300 (€350) for the seat belt charges.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates 
directly on your inbox.

You have Successfully Subscribed!