Connect with us

Culture

Poots says he has ‘no intention’ of damaging North power-sharing

Published

on

The new DUP leader, Edwin Poots, has said he has “no intention whatsoever” of taking any action that would damage the North’s power-sharing institutions.

“There’s no risk to the institutions coming from Edwin Poots,” the party’s incoming leader told PA on Tuesday.

Asked if he stood by the commitments made by the DUP as part of the New Decade New Approach agreement which restored the North’s Assembly in 2020, including an Irish Language Act, Mr Poots said: “I wish to see all NDNA commitments fulfilled, including the Military Covenant.”

Mr Poots was elected as the leader-designate of the party on Friday following the first leadership contest in the DUP’s 50-year history.

It followed the resignation of the party’s outgoing leader, Arlene Foster, who quit after more than 75 per cent of the party’s MPs and MLAs signed a letter of no confidence in her leadership.

Ms Foster is due to step down as leader on May 28th, and as First Minister at the end of June.

In a separate interview with the BBC on Tuesday, Mr Poots refused to be drawn on whether he had been behind the move to oust Ms Foster, saying that “people can speculate … they don’t have any evidence of anything. What I need to do, and my focus, is on delivering going forward.”

Commitment

Mr Poots said he stood by his previous commitment that he would not take up the First Minister role, but did not rule it out in future. As yet he has not revealed who he intends to appoint, or given any details of the potential candidates.

It is understood he will not make any announcements until after his own appointment is ratified by the DUP’s Executive next week.

He has also declined to give any indication as to who might make up the DUP’s ministerial team, and spent Monday and Tuesday holding consultation meetings with each of the party’s MLAs ahead of his ministerial reshuffle.

In the interview with PA, he said he wanted to see a “fresh injection” across party structures, with more women and younger people in key roles.

“I want there to be generational change in the DUP,” he said. Asked if that would be reflected in the allocation of ministerial portfolios and committee chair and vice chair positions, he replied, “absolutely. I think that one of the things that I’ll be doing is having a bit of freshness and bringing new people on and ensuring that the party is reflective of the wider community.”

Questioned over controversial comments he had previously made in regard to the LGBT community, Mr Poots said he would “work for every single person in Northern Ireland, I don’t care what your background is.”

‘Heal and move on’

He also said he had asked for a one-on-one meeting with Ms Foster to clear the air, saying the party needed to “heal and move on” from recent events.

“Unfortunately politics is a very rough and tumble business, and it may be something which affects me at some point in the future as well,” he said.

On Tuesday Mr Poots also met the Northern Secretary, Brandon Lewis, at Stormont on Tuesday to discuss the Northern Ireland protocol, which he pledged in his election manifesto to “systematically undermine and strip away”.

Speaking on Tuesday, Mr Poots said his desire was “to get rid of the protocol … the protocol in itself is something which is hugely damaging. I don’t know whether it is fixable.

“I don’t see that there has been the effort to create that fixing thus far. So my desire is the removal of the protocol.”

A spokesman for the UK government said the Northern Secretary had met with Mr Poots “and looks forward to continuing to work closely with him and other political leaders to continue delivering stability and prosperity in Northern Ireland.”

Source link

Culture

Madrid’s Retiro Park and Paseo del Prado granted World Heritage status | Culture

Published

on

Madrid’s famous Retiro Park and Paseo del Prado boulevard have been added to UNESCO’s World Heritage List. The decision, made on Sunday, brings the total number of World Heritage Sites in Spain to 49 – the third-highest in the world after Italy and China.

Up until Sunday, none of these sites were located in the Spanish capital. The Madrid region, however, was home to three: El Escorial Monastery in Alcalá de Henares, the historical center of Aranjuez and the Montejo beech forest in Montejo de la Sierra.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez celebrated the news on Twitter, saying it was a “deserved recognition of a space in the capital that enriches our historical, artistic and cultural legacy.”

Retiro Park is a green refuge of 118 hectares in the center of the city of Madrid. Paseo del Prado boulevard is another icon of the capital, featuring six museums, major fountains such as the Fuente de Cibeles as well as the famous Plaza de Cibeles square.

For the sites to be granted World Heritage status, Spain needed the support of two-thirds of the UNESCO committee – 15 votes from 21 countries. The proposal was backed by Brazil, Ethiopia, Russia, Uganda, Nigeria, Mali, Thailand, Kyrgyzstan, Oman and Saudi Arabia, among others.

Statue of Apollo in Paseo del Prado.
Statue of Apollo in Paseo del Prado.Víctor Sainz

Prior to the vote, the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), the organization that advises UNESCO, had argued against considering the Paseo del Prado and Retiro Park as one site, and recommended that the latter be left out on the grounds that there were no “historic justifications” for the two to be paired.

This idea was strongly opposed by Spain’s ambassador to UNESCO, Andrés Perelló, who said: “What they are asking us to do is rip out a lung from Madrid. El Prado and El Retiro are a happy union, whose marriage is certified with a cartography more than three centuries old.” The origins of Paseo del Prado date back to 1565, while Retiro Park was first opened to the public during the Enlightenment.

Pedestrians on Paseo del Prado.
Pedestrians on Paseo del Prado. Víctor Sainz

The ICOMOS report also denounced the air pollution surrounding the site. To address these concerns, Madrid City Hall indicated it plans to reduce car traffic under its Madrid 360 initiative, which among other things is set to turn 10 kilometers of 48 streets into pedestrian areas, but is considered less ambitious than its predecessor Madrid Central.

The 44th session of the World Heritage Committee took place in the Chinese city of Fuzhou and was broadcast live at Madrid’s El Prado Museum. Perelló summed up the reasons to include Retiro Park and El Paseo de Prado in less than three minutes.

“When people say ‘from Madrid to heaven’ [the slogan of the Spanish capital] I ask myself why would you want to go to heaven when heaven is already in Madrid,” he told delegates at the event, which was scheduled to take place in 2020, but was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Every year, UNESCO evaluates 25 proposals for additions to the World Heritage List. In the case of the Paseo del Prado and Retiro Park, the site was judged on whether it evidenced an exchange of considerable architectural influences, was a representative example of a form of construction or complex and if it was associated with traditions that are still alive today. The famous park and boulevard sought to be inscribed on the UNESCO list in 1992, but its candidacy did not reach the final stage of the process.

Etching of Paseo del Prado from Cibeles fountain, by Isidro González Velázquez (1788).
Etching of Paseo del Prado from Cibeles fountain, by Isidro González Velázquez (1788).Biblioteca Nacional de España

The effort to win recognition for the sites’ outstanding universal value began again in 2014 under former Madrid mayor Ana Botella, of the conservative Popular Party (PP), and was strengthed by her successor Manuela Carmena, of the leftist Ahora Madrid party, which was later renamed Más Madrid. An advisor from UNESCO visited the site in October 2019.

English version by Melissa Kitson.



Source link

Continue Reading

Culture

Ryanair reports €273m loss as passenger traffic rebounds

Published

on

Ryanair has reported a €273 million loss for its first quarter even as traffic rebounded during the period.

The carrier said it carried 8.1 million passengers in the three month period, which cover April to June. This compares to just 500,000 in the same period a year earlier.

Revenues increased 196 per cent from €125 million in the first quarter of 2020 to €371 million for the same quarter this year. Operation costs also rose however, jumping from €313 million to €675 million.

Net debt reduced by 27 per cent on the back of strong operating of €590 million.

“Covid-19 continued to wreak havoc on our business during the first quarter with most Easter flights cancelled and a slower than expected easing of EU travel restrictions into May and June,” said group chief executive Michael O’Leary.

“Based on current bookings, we expect traffic to rise from over five million in June to almost nine million in July, and over 10 million in August, as long as there are no further Covid setbacks in Europe,” he added.

Ryanair said the rollout of EU digital Covid certificates and the scrapping of quarantine for vaccinated arrivals to Britain from mid-July has led to a surge in bookings in recent week.

First quarter scheduled revenues increased 91 per cent to €192 million on the back of the rise in passenger traffic although this was offset by the cancellation of Easter traffic and a delay in the relaxation of travel restrictions.

Ancillary revenue generated approximately €22 per passenger the company said.

Mr O’Leary foresaw growth opportunities for the airline due to the collapse of many European airlines during the Covid crisis, and widespread capacity cuts at other carriers.

“We are encouraged by the high rate of vaccinations across Europe. If, as is presently predicted, most of Europe’s adult population is fully vaccinated by September., then we believe that we can look forward to a strong recovery in air travel for the second half of the fiscal year and well into 2022 – as is presently the case in domestic US air travel,” he said.

However, the airline warned the future remains challenging due to continued Covid restrictions and a lack of bookings and that this meant it was impossible to provided “meaningful” guidance at the time.

“We believe that full0year 2022 traffic has improved to a range of 90 million to 100 million (previously guided at the lower end of an 80 million to 120 million passenger range) and (cautiously) expect that the likely outcome for the year is somewhere between a small loss and breakeven. This is dependent on the continued rollout of vaccines this summer, and no adverse Covid variant developments,” said Mr O’Leary.

Source link

Continue Reading

Culture

Switzerland’s Credit Suisse settles with star banker over spying scandal

Published

on

CEO Tidjane Thiam was forced to resign in February 2020 after admitting the bank had hired investigators to follow Khan, head of international wealth management, because he had opted to move to arch-rival, UBS.

As well as sending shockwaves through banking circles, the case sparked a criminal probe in Switzerland.

“All parties involved have agreed to end the case,” Credit Suisse spokeswoman Simone Meier told NZZ am Sonntag, which revealed the agreement.

Meier declined to comment further when contacted by AFP.

The public prosecutor of the canton of Zurich has also ended his investigation, as the complaints have been withdrawn, NZZ am Sonntag reported.

Thiam’s resignation followed a torrid six-month scandal that began with revelations in the Swiss press that Khan had been shadowed by agents from a private detective company hired after he joined UBS. 

At one point, Khan physically confronted the people following him.

In October, chief operating officer Pierre-Olivier Bouee resigned, acknowledging at the end of an internal investigation that he “alone” had ordered the tailing without informing his superiors.

He had wanted to ensure that Khan was not trying to poach other employees, according to the internal investigation.

The case was reopened in December 2019 when the bank admitted to a second case of espionage, this time involving the former head of human resources, and then in February after media reports that the surveillance had also targeted the environmental organisation Greenpeace.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates 
directly on your inbox.

You have Successfully Subscribed!