Connect with us

Global Affairs

Investigators Find Cause of Tiger Woods Crash, Details Yet to Be Revealed

Voice Of EU

Published

on

US

Get short URL

Officials had already indicated that the athlete showed no signs of impairment, and that the car crash was just a bad accident. Woods suffered several orthopaedic injuries in the crash and had to undergo a major operation on his right leg.

The Los Angeles County sheriff said the investigation into Tiger Woods’ car crash has concluded, and the cause has been determined by detectives. However, the details of the investigation will not yet be released because of privacy concerns.

“A cause has been determined, the investigation has concluded. We have reached out to Tiger Woods and his personnel. There’s some privacy issues on releasing information on the investigation so we’re going to ask them if they waive the privacy and then we will be able to do a full release on all the information regarding the accident,’, the Associated Press cited Sheriff Alex Villanueva as saying.

During the investigation, detectives managed to obtain a search warrant for the data recorder, also known as the black box, of Woods’ Genesis GV80 SUV. Sheriff Villanueva confirmed the investigators had all the contents of the box. “It’s completed, signed, sealed and delivered,” the officer told a press conference. 

After the conference, the office of LA County Sheriffs posted a message on Twitter, saying that the information on the incident is governed under California Vehicle Section 20012.

Associated Press added, however, that this section of state code does not govern releasing information outside the so-called “accident reports”. The section says such reports must be confidential but still can be disclosed “to any person who may have a proper interest therein.”

​Woods, 45, got into an accident on 23 February when his car flipped after hitting a curb and smashing into a tree. The athlete sustained a number of injuries and was taken to hospital where he underwent surgery.



Source link

Global Affairs

Belgium might close schools and cultural activities

Voice Of EU

Published

on

Today, Friday, Belgian governments are meeting again in order to decide on new Covid measures in order to stop the spreading of the virus as numbers are spiking. This time the concertation committee is gathering on the request of the Flemish minister-president Jan Jambon who suggested to close down all indoor events, including all concerts and theatre productions. The closing of schools is also on the agenda.

Source link

Continue Reading

Global Affairs

El Salvador ‘responsible for death of woman jailed after miscarriage’ | Global development

Voice Of EU

Published

on

The Inter-American court of human rights has ruled that El Salvador was responsible for the death of Manuela, a woman who was jailed in 2008 for killing her baby when she suffered a miscarriage.

The court has ordered the Central American country to reform its draconian policies on reproductive health.

The decision on Tuesday marked the first time an international court has ruled on El Salvador’s extreme abortion laws and was celebrated by women’s rights activists, who believe it could open doors for change across the region.

Since 1998, abortion in El Salvador has been banned without exception, even in cases of rape and incest. Over the past two decades, more than 180 women have been jailed for murder for having an abortion after suffering obstetric emergencies, according to rights groups.

The case of Manuela v El Salvador was brought after the 33-year-old mother of two from the countryside died from cancer after receiving inadequate medical diagnosis and treatment, leaving her two children orphaned. She had been serving a 30-year prison sentence for aggravated homicide after a miscarriage.

When Manuela – whose full name has never been made public in El Salvador – went to the hospital after miscarrying, staff failed to provide her with timely treatment and instead subjected her to verbal abuse and accused her of having an abortion, according to the Center for Reproductive Rights. Manuela was handcuffed to her bed and denied access to a lawyer while police interrogated her.

“There is no doubt that Manuela suffered an obstetric emergency,” the landmark court ruling stated. “Such situations, as they are medical conditions, cannot lead to a criminal sanction.”

The court also ruled that the state must pay reparations to Manuela’s family, and should develop comprehensive sexual education policies and guarantee doctor-patient confidentiality.

“The Inter-American court has done justice by recognising Manuela was another victim of an unjust legal context that originates in the absolute prohibition of abortion,” said Morena Herrera, at the Feminist Collective for Local Development, one of the parties in the case supporting Manuela’s family.

“Manuela’s story is a sad one, but it represents a change and becomes a path of justice and hope for all women in Latin America and the Caribbean who are criminalised for obstetric events.”

Most countries in the region respect the Inter-American court’s jurisdiction, opening the door for sweeping change, activists said.

“This is a huge advance for reproductive rights, not only in El Salvador but across Latin America,” said Catalina Martínez Coral, regional director for Latin America and the Caribbean at the Center for Reproductive Rights, another party in the case. “This is a standard we can apply to the constitutions and states across the region.”

Martínez Coral added that while the ruling was to be celebrated, the issue of poverty affecting access to reproductive rights remained a challenge.

“There are over 180 cases of women in jail, or that have been jailed, over these issues,” said Martínez Coral, who also worked as a litigator on the case against the Salvadorean state.

“What that means is we’re dealing with a state that criminalises women and, above all, criminalises poor women in the most rural and impoverished areas,” she said.

Source link

Continue Reading

Global Affairs

EU commission unveils proposal to digitalise justice systems

Voice Of EU

Published

on

The European Commission unveiled on Wednesday a proposal to digitalise EU cross-border justice systems, aiming at making them more accessible and effective. Under the new draft law, the EU executive wants to tackle inefficiencies affecting cross-border judicial cooperation and barriers to access to justice in cross-border cases. Shifting paper-based communications to electronic formats would save up to €25m per year across the EU in postage and paper costs.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates 
directly on your inbox.

You have Successfully Subscribed!