We’re aiming to help our readers improve their German by translating vocabulary from some of our news stories. Did you find this article useful? Let us know.
President Emmanuel Macron ordered the recalling of the envoys after Canberra ditched a deal to buy French submarines in favour of US vessels, Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.
Le Drian said in a statement that the decision was made to “immediately” recall the two French ambassadors due to “the exceptional seriousness of the announcements made on September 15th by Australia and the United States.”
The abandonment of the ocean-class submarine project that Australia and France had been working on since 2016 constituted “unacceptable behaviour among allies and partners,” the minister said.
“Their consequences affect the very concept we have of our alliances, our partnerships, and the importance of the Indo-Pacific for Europe”
US President Joe Biden announced the new Australia-US-Britain defence alliance on Wednesday, extending US nuclear submarine technology to Australia as well as cyber defence, applied artificial intelligence and undersea capabilities.
The pact is widely seen as aimed at countering the rise of China.
The move infuriated France, which lost a contract to supply conventional submarines to Australia that was worth Aus$50 billion (€31 billion, $36.5 billion) when signed in 2016.
The French ambassador recalls from the United States and Australia, key allies of France, are unprecedented.
At request of @EmmanuelMacron, @Ph_Etienne & his colleague appointed in Canberra are being recalled to Paris for consultations. This reflects exceptional seriousness of announcements made on Sept 15 that constitute unacceptable behavior for allies/partnershttps://t.co/o75Lnte9I8
— French Embassy U.S. (@franceintheus) September 17, 2021
France has made no effort to disguise its fury and on Thursday accused Australia of back-stabbing and Washington of Donald Trump-era behaviour over the submarines deal.
“It’s really a stab in the back,” Le Drian said Thursday. “We had established a relationship of trust with Australia, this trust has been
France has also called off a gala at its ambassador’s house in Washington scheduled for Friday. The event was supposed to celebrate the anniversary of a decisive naval battle in the American Revolution, in which France played a key role.
Australia earlier shrugged off Chinese anger over its decision to acquire US nuclear-powered submarines, while vowing to defend the rule of law in airspace and waters where Beijing has staked hotly contested claims.
Beijing described the new alliance as an “extremely irresponsible” threat to regional stability, questioning Australia’s commitment to nuclear non-proliferation and warning the Western allies that they risked “shooting themselves in the foot”.
China has its own “very substantive programme of nuclear submarine building”, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison argued Friday in an interview with radio station 2GB.
China claims almost all of the resource-rich South China Sea, through which trillions of dollars in shipping trade passes annually, rejecting competing claims from Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam.
Beijing has been accused of deploying a range of military hardware including anti-ship missiles and surface-to-air missiles there, and ignored a 2016 international tribunal decision that declared its historical claim over most of the waters to be without basis.
France’s European Affairs Minister Clement Beaune said on Friday that Paris was unable to trust Canberra in ongoing European Union trade deal talks following the decision, before the ambassadors were recalled.
Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne, in Washington, said she understood the “disappointment” in Paris and hoped to work with France to ensure it understands “the value we place on the bilateral relationship and the work that we want to continue to do together”.
Drop in cancer diagnoses as high as 14 per cent during pandemic, early data shows
The drop in the number of cancers detected during the Covid-19 pandemic could be as high as 14 per cent, preliminary data has suggested.
A report from the National Cancer Registry said it was still too early to provide “definitive answers” on whether pandemic hospital restrictions last year led to a reduction in the number of cancers diagnosed.
The registry’s annual report said an estimated decrease of 14 per cent in detections pointed to the “potential scale” of Covid-19’s impact on other healthcare.
A separate analysis of data on microscopically verified cancers diagnosed last year showed a reduction of between 10 and 13 per cent, the report said.
The drop in confirmed cancer cases, when compared with previous years, could be partly accounted for by “incomplete registration of cases already diagnosed”, it said.
Prof Deirdre Murray, director of the National Cancer Registry, said there were “clear signals that, as expected in Ireland, the number of cancer diagnoses in 2020 will be lower than in previous years”.
The shortfall in cancers being diagnosed would present a “major challenge” in the coming years, with lengthy waiting lists and disruptions to screening services “all too commonplace” already, she said.
Ms Power said it was frightening to think of the people who were living with cancer but did not know it yet. She added that existing cancer patients were “terrified” of having treatments delayed due to the recent rise in Covid-19 cases.
The registry’s report said there were about 44,000 tumours identified each year between 2017 and 2019.
Not counting non-melanoma skin cancer, the most common cancer diagnoses were for breast and prostate cancer, which made up almost a third of invasive cancers found in women and men respectively.
For men this was followed by bowel and lung cancer, and melanoma of the skin. Lung cancer was the second most common cancer for women, followed by colorectal cancer and melanoma of skin.
Nearly a third of deaths in 2018 were attributed to cancer, with lung cancer the leading cause of death from cancer, the report said.
The second, third and fourth most common cancers to die from in men were bowel, prostate and oesophagus cancer. For women breast, bowel and ovarian cancers were the most common fatal cancers.
The report said there were almost 200,000 cancer survivors in Ireland at the end of 2019, with breast cancer patients making up more than a fifth of the total.
The research found cancer rates among men had dropped between 2010 and 2019, with mortality rates decreasing or remaining the same across nearly every type of cancer. Rates of cancer detected among women had increased between 2008 and 2019, with mortality rates for most cancers decreasing.
The report said the five-year survival rate from cancer had increased to 65 per cent for the period 2014 to 2018, compared with 42 per cent two decades previous.
There had been “major improvement” in survival rates for most major cancers, however, the research noted the chances of survival varied significantly depending on the type of cancer.
Prostate, melanoma of the skin and testis cancer had survival rates of more than 90 per cent, followed closely by breast and thyroid cancer, and Hodgkin lymphoma. Pancreas, liver, oesophagus and lung cancers had much lower five-year survival rates on average, the report said.
Can my child really be refused entry to school for not wearing a face mask?
What are the new rules on wearing face masks at primary school?
Pupils in third class upwards are required to wear face masks, apart from those with exemptions. These rules apply for children aged nine-plus using public transport and in other public, indoor settings.
Can my child really be refused entry to school for not wearing a mask?
Department of Education guidelines state that unmasked pupils in third class upwards will be refused entry to school if they do not have a medical certificate to show they are exempt from the rules.
Schools, however, are being advised by the Government to take a “flexible” and “practical” approach to the new rules over the coming days.
Are these rules underpinned by law?
The guidelines are not statutory but, like existing rules on face masks for secondary students, schools are required to implement them.
When asked if school principals will be legally protected when implementing the wearing of face masks, Taoiseach Micheál Martin said where they apply public health policy they will be “protected definitely”.
On what grounds can a child be exempt from wearing a mask?
There three main grounds under which children may be exempt from wearing a mask:
|Confirmed cases in hospital||Confirmed cases in ICU|
(1) Any pupil with difficulty breathing or other relevant medical conditions
(2) Any pupil who is unable to remove the cloth face-covering or visor without assistance
(3) Any pupil who has special needs and who may feel upset or very uncomfortable wearing the cloth face covering or visor, for example pupils with intellectual or developmental disabilities, mental health conditions, sensory concerns or tactile sensitivity
Do children require a medical certificate to prove they are exempt?
Most children will not require a medical certificate on the basis that schools are best placed to identify children whose needs are such that the wearing of face covering may not be possible for them.
In other circumstances, a medical certificate – from a GP, typically – must be provided to the school.
What happens with mask wearing at break time or during PE?
A “common sense” approach is being advised. As it the case at second level, students may take off masks briefly for eating and drinking indoors.
Schools are being advised that masks can also be taken off when in the yard and for PE lessons outdoors.
If sporting activity takes place indoors, masks do not need to be worn if the space is well ventilated and subject to CO2 monitoring.
Masks may also be taken off for music, but consideration should be given to social distancing and ventilation.
What happens if my child forgets or loses their face mask?
Schools should have a sufficient supply of masks for this purpose.
My child is in a mixed class with second and third class pupils. What rules apply?
Where there are mixed classes in a single classroom, only children in third class and above are required to wear face masks.
When will the rules be reviewed?
The Department of Education says it has been advised that this measure is being introduced on a temporary basis and is subject to review in mid-February 2022.
Ski home values rise by up to 17% despite travel restrictions says Savills
EU commission unveils proposal to digitalise justice systems
Players should be allowed to compete in Saudi International
The 1915 Armenian Genocide and its Russophobic Origins
What’s artificial intelligence best at? Stealing human ideas | Technology
The Religious Roots of Russia’s Mistrust towards the West
Global Affairs1 week ago
Turkey accused of using Interpol summit to crack down on critics | Interpol
Global Affairs1 week ago
Sweden’s first female PM resigns hours after appointment
Current5 days ago
Victorian fernery vs modern orangery: Which home would you pick?
Global Affairs6 days ago
Interpol’s president: alleged torturer rises as symbol of UAE soft power | Global development
Technology5 days ago
Cork start-up Gasgon Medical wins at the 2021 Seedcorn competition
Culture6 days ago
European Commission recommends travel ban on southern Africa amid fears over new Covid variant
Current1 week ago
Why has years of big health spending not improved the system?
Current5 days ago
Ulster show their grit to hold off Leinster and end unbeaten run